![]() |
| pre-flight |
Just kidding. Kind of.
If we went solely off of Harrison's behavior we would fly every day. He was awesome. Only getting fussy on the long flight home, which turned out he was constipated judging by the poop-splosion that happened in the In-N-Out parking lot in Sacramento. Seriously disgusting and honestly, quite impressive for a little human. (Remember that time I said I'd never talk about baby poop on social media? HAHAHA.)
We made sure to have his diaper bag stocked. We brought piles of toys. But the thing that kept him occupied 90% of the time? My freaking necklace. He chewed, sucked on and beat that sucker to hell. Totally worth it.
We got a lot of advice leading up to this trip, some of it worked, some of it didn't. Like feeding him on take off and landing. The first flight I fed him on take off without incident but on landing he was sleeping so I didn't wake him up. He was perfectly fine. I think it just depends on the baby. I wish I would of taken the advice someone offered up to take less than we think we need. We had way too much crap to carry around the airport and we didn't use half of it.
| Bubble Guppies with head phones that kept his attention for about 6 seconds. |
The thing we didn't anticipate was that 3 of the 4 flights were not full so we got a whole row of seats to ourselves. LIFESAVING. I'm telling you. So my only piece of advice on long flights? Hope and wish and pray for your own row of seats or buy that extra seat. Or...well, I was going to say something off color about getting your row-mate kicked off the plane but I just can't. Use your imagination.
And just so you know, other passengers are generally understanding and get it. When Harrison was fussy we just did everything we could to comfort and calm him. People saw that we were trying our best and not once did I see a stink eye from anyone.
The real reason I'm not in a hurry to travel again is simply because I can't handle the stress. The anxiety. The stress. My left eye hasn't stopped twitching since we got home. It twitched a record number of times while we were there. Maybe now I can consider myself a pro and not be so stressed out leading up to travel but god dammit, staying home sounds so much better.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my. I can only imagine the stress!! :-S I often look at families who are towing like 5 kids and am in awe. It's like an army drill HOW GOOD they are with taking off shoes, being responsible for their own bags, etc... I can only hope that my fam will be a fraction of that successful! In my dreams probably ;-)
ReplyDeletesounds like it went pretty darn well. he's a cutie!
ReplyDeleteromantically challenged
Oh man! We were talking about going down to Florida sometime in the next year to visit our families. We can't decide if the 2.5 hour flight or the 17 hour drive would be better!
ReplyDeleteI get stressed just flying alone, I can't imagine with the baby and all of their things. You're an inspiration to all of us crazy, fearful moms! ;) Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteYou're a better woman than I am. I'm stressed just reading about your long flights! I'm glad H was good for you though :D
ReplyDelete