We looked at a few daycare's before I went back to work and we knew our options were limited in this town. We found one I really loved and one I knew would be fine, but didn't get quite the same feelings about when we visited. We went with the latter. The reason? The tuition was $150 less. I absolutely hate that our financial situation has to dictate our childcare situation. I HATE IT. But those are the facts.
Harrison has been going to daycare for a month now. The positives have been:
- He sleeps SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD on the days he goes to daycare. They poop him out.
- I know he's cared for while we're working.
- He gets to socialize with other kids and boy oh boy, does he love other kids.
- The smile when I pick him up is priceless.
- He sleeps SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. :)
- I don't feel like he's special there. Obviously his teachers have other kids to look after but I can't shake this feeling.
- Dropping him off is torture. Absolute torture. And Harrison doesn't even cry...all the tears come from me.
- I'm not crazy about his teachers.
- Everyone wears shoes where the babies crawl around all day.
- I'm afraid I'll have these feelings no matter where I send him.
The other thing that has me feeling off is their lack of willingness to offer up information about H's day. Again, I know they are busy. But maybe just a story about what he did, who he played with, what his favorite toy is, anything really, would make me feel more at ease. I ask questions and they answer with a smile but mostly I get there, sign him out, pick up his daily 'diaper change/ounces eaten' sheet and we head out. It feels so impersonal.
Perhaps the biggest thing is just my intuition. I haven't had a warm, fuzzy feeling at all but I would be happy to feel a lukewarm, slightly soft feeling. But it's not there. I put great stock in first impressions and going with your gut but haven't been doing that in this situation.
I never imagined it would be this hard. I'm still not sure what we're going to do.
That's no fun. No fun at all.
ReplyDeleteGo with your intuition and find somewhere else. I know I wouldn't be happy with that.
I'm sorry you're not happier with your daycare. If you can at all try to fix your budget to take him somewhere else it may be worth it. We also went with our daycare because it was the cheaper of the two we looked at, fortunately I like ours a lot more now.
ReplyDeleteWhen Hunter first started at his daycare I felt the same way as you with him not being special but now that he's been there a while I honestly feel like he's one of the favorites, they LOVE him there. I think it just takes time for them to build a relationship with each kid ya know? I also didn't feel close to his teachers for a few months but now both my husband and I always talk to them when picking up and dropping off and have gotten to know them which really helps.
I'm surprised they wear shoes where the babies are, everyone (including parents) have to take shoes off before going into the baby rooms. That would bother me too.
Awww :( I'm so sorry you're not feeling comfortable with H's daycare. Honestly, it sounds like more than just "normal" hesitations. You said that you might just feel that way about anywhere you take him but I really don't think that is true. I don't like leaving Reid either, but we absolutely love his school and know that he enjoys it there and is playing, learning, etc.
ReplyDeleteEveryone has to remove shoes before entering any of the classrooms. And we get little "report cards" every day. They include the normal food/pee/poop/sleep schedule but there is also a section where they mark his mood for the day, and a whole section on the back where they write about what he played with, what he enjoyed, new developmental stuff, etc. Back when he was doing tummy time they would write about how long he spent working on it and how he reacted to it.
There is no place I would rather him go during the day. Truthfully, it is the most expensive option around here and it is rough. I am stressing MAJORLY about what we will do when we have TWO to pay for. I hope we can make it work for them to continue going there because it absolutely breaks my heart to think of going somewhere else. We agreed that it is a top priority though, so we are willing to make sacrifices to our budget in other areas. It sucks to have to worry about all that but it is just a fact of life. Maybe moving to Virginia would solve that problem for you?? ;)
I hope that you can make that place work, or figure out a way to come up with the extra money to move him somewhere you'd be more comfortable with.
I'm glad you finally wrote about this and I'm so sorry you feel this way. Maybe it's the daycare that's not right? You need to find one that works for you? I don't know what options you have where you live but you really aren't asking for much as far as wanting to know about his day! And as far as food goes, I'm going through the same thing, I had to explain my process with BLW to his teachers. They all asked if he was on rice ceral/oatmeal yet (at 4 months old) and I told them NOPE. He won't get any either if I have it my way.
ReplyDeleteWe have to do what's right for our babies and if that means explaining ourselves to our childcare providers, so be it. They better do things our way for the $$ we pay!! LOL
You know where to find me if you ever need to vent mama <3 xoxo
My heart is breaking in a million pieces for you. Your intuition and gut and feelings about who is taking care of him are so so important. When Melia said move to Virginia I thought, no, move here! I'll watch that precious angel! But seriously, my mil lives there and she has a sweet sweet neighbor that is retired. Maybe we can find someone better for you. Let's talk asap!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear you are having these feelings. Do I like taking Hayden to daycare, no, but I do feel good about where he is at. I can't blame you for having the feelings about wanting to know more about his day.
ReplyDeleteDoes your University have a campus daycare? What about asking around to Professors, etc. (I'm sure you've already done that, but just thinking out loud here). Maybe there is an in-home daycare they know about or a stay at home mom that wouldn't mind an extra kiddo!
I hope you can find something different that you are more comfortable with!