8.13.2012

Breastfeeding Essentials :: Pumping At Work Edition


As a follow up to my first breastfeeding essentials post, I thought I'd share the things that have made my life easier while pumping at work.

Awesome pump:
I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and I'm sure I would be screwed without it. Hands down, the most incredible pump. I've tried a few.

Extra bottles with lids:
To store what you pump. Don't forget lids. That would be a real pain.

Somewhere to store pumped milk:
I have a fridge at work that I store my milk in. An ice chest with ice pack would work too. 

A place to pump:
Somewhere private with an outlet. I have a shared office and could really care less if my boss stays in the room (most of the time she leaves) but our office connects to the Chair's office and the main office so I just close and lock both of those doors when the time comes, and the Chair knows what's going on. It works. You just have to find what works for you.

Medela wipes:
To wipe down all pump equipment in between pumps. I personally don't use these but I've heard they work great.

A good nursing bra and nursing pads: 
Goes without saying, really, you need to be able to get those suction cups on there without too much resistance from your wardrobe.

Button down shirts:
This saves SO much time and hassle. I stocked up on a bunch at Old Navy for cheap and they are so much easier than having to pull up a regular top.


Other pumping at work tips:
  • If you have one, put the times you pump in your shared calendar so coworkers won't try to schedule you during those times. 
  • Practice before you go back to work. For one or two days, only pump at the times you anticipate you'll need to back at work. If you're pumping more than or the same amount that the baby eats, you're good to go!
  • I store my suction cups (I know there's a better word for these haha) and all used bottles (even if empty) in the fridge in the little storage container that came with my pump. That way, you don't have to wash them after each individual use. If you can get over the initial nip freeze when you go to pump again, it's worth it. ;)
  • Don't wear a dress to work. I learned that one the hard way.

MY PUMPING AT WORK ROUTINE

10 hour days (summer hours):
6:15 a.m. pump before work
9:30 a.m. pump
12:30 p.m. pump or feed baby (Tyler brings Harrison to visit on the days he has him)
3:30 p.m. pump
5:30 p.m. off work

On these days I come home with approximately 18 ounces of milk. Harrison only drinks about 12 ounces of our freezer stash so it allows me to continue building it.

7.5 hour days (regular hours):
7:00 a.m. pump before work
10:00 a.m. pump
1:00 p.m. pump or feed baby
3:00 p.m. off work

These days I come home with 10-12 ounces. Harrison drinks about 8 ounces on average.

Do you have any pumping at work advice?

4 comments:

  1. Definitely let your coworkers know when you're pumping! So often, people come in my office and holler for me and don't realize I'm in the back store room pumping!

    And yeah, dresses to pump? No sir. I've done that before, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I'm not due for a few more months but I've started thinking about the "logistics" of all of this and what I'd need to pump the most efficient way. I'm very fortunate that I have my own office and only a few people have a key to it (I work in HR). We don't have a fridge or anything though, so I'll have to invest in a cooler or something to bring to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of nursing bras do you have? I haven't found any I really like yet. I seriously still wear nursing tanks most days underneath my clothes, so much easier for me. I wear a LOT of dresses, but most I can slip the "sleeve" part off my shoulders and it's just as easy as a top.

    I totally want to get one of those hands free bras but it doesn't seem like it would be possible when you're already wearing a bra...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! So useful. Going back on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete